Friday, January 18, 2013

L'oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner: First Impressions

 L'oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner is an alternative to shampoo. The idea behind washing with conditioner is to strip less moisture from the hair and leave it softer, shinier and less frizzy.



Some background- I have been doing the "no 'poo" thing for a while (washing with out using shampoo). I have a dry scalp and subsequently my hair is also really dry, shampoo tends to make my hair break and sometimes my scalp gets so dry it cracks open. Washing with conditioner only once a week has made a huge difference for me.

I have not used Wen or any other cleansing conditioner. I used various oil based conditioners to wash my hair previous to using this product.

My first impressions are this "bottle is tiny" and "wow, this smells really good". The bottle is 8.3 fl oz and you need to use multiple pumps to saturate your hair. My hair is down to my chest and I think I used about 8 pumps, even washing just once a week this will probably run out quickly. This product retails for less than $10 on average so I guess it's not too bad. Now the smell, it's herbal and maybe a bit medicinal, this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. The smell also sticks around in your hair and I can smell it coming off my head right now. Good thing I love the scent. The scent is camelina, a plant I've never smelled before so I can't judge the accuracy.

Here's the ingredient list:
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Hydroxpropyl Startch Phosphate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Capryl Glycol, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Camelina Sativa Oil/Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Prunus Armeniaca Kernal Oil/Apricot Kernal Oil, Vitis Vinefera Seed Oil/Grape Seed Oil, Caramel, CI 19140/Yellow 5.

As you can see it's sulphate free and paraben free. This product also claims to be vegan and cruelty free.

The instructions say to work it in and leave it on a few minutes so I did just that. It works in really nicely with a light lather. As mentioned before it did take a lot to coat all of my hair. As I was working it in I could see it was lifting my Manic Panic hair dye a bit more than I had hoped. This product rinsed out really easily with out leaving a "filmy" residue.

Once my hair started to dry a bit I could feel a slight tingling feeling on my scalp but that faded pretty quickly. My hair was feeling nice and soft on top but I could tell my ends were probably going to need a bit more moisture.

When completely dry I noticed all the hair dye applied to my roots last week was removed. The hair at my hair line was also stripped of dye. The top of my head that had more conditioner applied was soft and not at all frizzy but that's not the case for the rest of my hair. The length and especially the ends are dry and very frizzy. I think I'll have to make sure to really saturate all of my hair next time. 

After I use this product a few more times I'll post an update and my final thoughts as to how well this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment